page 2

in a dream, we were at camp. God's camp;

feet of the Counselor strutting around, telling us kids to listen.

You and i, we were listening.
both sitting in the same innocence.

legs on top of the heart. hands on top of the legs.
hands clasped in our own.

we were in the Counselor's circle.

for a moment, Your eyes took their iris ropes and lassoed my pupils.
i tried to run, but You pulled me in.

golden tears and sunlight coming from your windows.
and that smile.

~

Lights out kids, says the Counselor.
darkness blankets us. Giggles sprinkle the air.

i am in my bed and You are bed in my am i.
my words lose their placement.

     i feel a woven basket on top of my stomach.


:::


shoreline sleep.
a wind turns me over, my hand reaches into the foam.

salt dissolving my fingertips.
years, You reached out.

cataracts covered me in youth.

tonight is different;
the same wind comes

and Your voice pushes me beyond the sand,
the foam, water hits my nose.

Sleep with me. Your needing words.

the ocean recedes, and i wake back on the sand.
my hand, a shell holding a single droplet in it.


Thank you.


:::


i like observing Your ground-eyes.
modesty looks down, always.

when your ground-eyes show modesty, they bow.
You say, "Thank you..."

i wait to see it. the, "Thank you...but..."
Your smile is the but because

You put the compliments on a serving plate
and bring them to the Chef after closing.



Comments

Most Viewed

page 73

page 1

page 69