page 136

"Grandma, what's that?"

Sweetheart, this is a garlic clove. They're delicious!

"Can I try?!"

Well, you can---if you want to, but grown ups
usually mix them with other foods---
and they're kind of spi---

"I'm brave grandma---I can do it!"

Ok then, if you insist...

The boy bit into the clove, chewed a few times,
pinched his face, and spit out the clove.

"Pew! That's disgusting! I need water!"

The grandma laughed watching her grandson guzzle water.

Believe it or not, this is one
of your grandfather's favorite foods
in the whole wide world.

"Why!? It's so gross!"

When you get older, you'll learn to like it.

I cook with it not only because it's delicious,
but because it reminds me of your grandfather...
I smile every time I prepare it.

"I'll never eat that stuff again!"

Preparing freshly chopped garlic takes some work,
and for that reason, people often buy the garlic
already chopped. Usually the garlic
that's been pre-prepared isn't as good.

I always use fresh garlic, never the other stuff.

"Why?"

The taste...the work and preparation it takes
to smell its fresh smell in the frying pan
is all worth it...and the same goes for love.

Sweetheart, whenever I prepare fresh garlic,
I smile at the thought of your grandfather---
that I love him very much.

Great loves take work.

When you're older and preparing a delicious meal
for someone you love...remember this...
the fresh garlic will always taste better
than the other stuff.


:::


no single ant
made the ant hill;

no single heart
could love the world;

honor the grain of sand
you carried.

rest peacefully for the love
you shared.

don't you see?

in each of us
is the greatness of the ant hill's heights
and the everlasting reach of love's hands.


:::


windows to the soul.
mirrors of the a masks.
tellers of the untold.
seekers of the seeking.

just trying to find the bounty
among the bountiful.

shut the blinds!
cover the mirrors!
silence the signals!
stop the searching!

close them;

it is only when we close our eyes,
that we truly appreciate the breath
of Spring inside us all.


:::


never tie a wet umbrella closed;

leave the umbrella open,
so the air of healing
may dry the pain droplets
from the panels of your heart.


:::


i must ask,
in a world plagued by masks,

did you ever take for granted
the experience of the human smile?

a universal language of happiness
has been unexpectedly veiled.

a signal of safety, covered.

a queue of bodily disarmament, hidden.

     there are other illnesses on this Earth.

Comments

Most Viewed

page 73

page 1

page 69