page 55

make all of yourself taste;

make further yourself not a tongue
but a completely whole taste bud.

(or so Intuition told me.)


:::


yeah, i knew a man once.
he was a local. down at Wendella's Diner.

always sat in the same spot.
ordered his coffee black but
he put sugar in it. no cream.

usually people who order
black coffee prefer no cream
and no sugar because they
like the taste. bitter.

so, i sat with him one Sunday morning
and talked. after some casual
exchanges, i asked him:

"Herb, (his name is Herbert. but everyone calls him Herb.)
i have to ask...curiosity killed the cat but...why do you put
sugar in your black coffee? i only ask because, i haven't seen
many people do that."

he answered with this:

"It's quite alright. For one, curiosity never kills. It captivates the cat.
Secondly, I do it because it makes the coffee bittersweet.
Every morning I come here, sit in this spot by the window
and rain or shine, I put sugar in my black coffee. Just one dash.
I do it because the black coffee tells me I can't escape what in life
is bitter---like loss, mistrust---those things. Every morning,
I put a dash of sugar in my black coffee to tell myself
I can make it sweet. Every morning, every day...
I give myself that power."


:::


within all of us
is the dream-string,
a hole for a heart,
and a needle-point-direction.

when we are all at once
those three things...

we sew.




Comments

Most Viewed

page 73

page 1

page 69