page 90

and then i abandoned
the virtuous life.

i threw my used cigarette
on the sidewalk of complacency.

stepped away from the edge of the cliff
only to get a running start

and jump off!
i welcomed the conman of my emotions.

i shared the tip with my desires,
and let them drive me home.

i fiddled my keys at the door
with The Wild...

at the door of my values---
of which i wanted to abandon so much

just then!

i felt it to be in that moment,
my civic duty,

to rebel.

to rebel against all
that held my consciousness in place;

and for that moment,
i would be dangerously free.


:::


the objective
of treating others well

is not a requirement
for the prestige of one's character;

it is a prerequisite of one's character
which garners no prestige at any time;

true character cultivates prestige
in the character of another.


:::


"have you tried chocolate milk
and mash potatoes together?

it's really good!
you should try it mommy!"

children are loved
for their purity and witty ignorance.

children are, however,
envied for their convictions

(no matter how ridiculous and silly)
that we seem to have let go in life.


:::


i woke to see the run blazing
through my window.

then God said,

My child,
you are simply admiring your reflection.


Comments

Most Viewed

page 73

page 1

page 69